Monday, November 30, 2009

Teaching while learning...

It's strange. I knew this principle before but it's totally coming to life these days. My supervisor has told me over and over again the past few years that often, what campus ministers go through happens a few months before a student goes through a similar situation.

Actually, I think that's the case for anyone, if we take time to stop and reflect about our past experiences, not only for campus ministers. So in the past few days, I have seen how true that is. Some of the lessons I am learning and situations I have faced in the past 6 months are popping up in the students that I disciple on a regular basis.

What's cool, though, is that even though I have gone through something similar, I still don't all of the answers. When a student tells me something, I usual think to myself, "Wow, that's very similar to what I just faced, but it's also completely different. I have no idea what to do!".

And then in that moment, I pray, and ask God to give me wisdom as these students are looking to get a load off their chest and wanting some advice from me. In the end, it's a learning experience for the both of us. I learn what it means to give advice but also point people to Jesus. My students learn to experience their situations head on, with the help of God and someone they trust.

And I think that in the end, we all grow and benefit. We become more and more the individuals that God intended us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment