Monday, October 4, 2010

Do the Math Challenge, Day 1...

Breakfast: 1 package of regular oatmeal
Lunch: 2.5 peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat bread
Dinner: 3/4 box of macaroni and cheese, 1/2 can of green beans, 1 granola bar

I was famished this morning and couldn't wait to eat my oatmeal at 9 a.m. I pushed breakfast as late as possible, so that I would feel hungry later. By noon, I was ready to devour some more food, but contained myself to peanut butter sandwiches.

Dinner was at 6 and I was hungry at 4:30. I think I might have almost eaten the pot of boiling water, if I didn't have better self control. I ate more mac and cheese than I ever would have expected to eat, but nothing was satisfying my hunger. I even saved my granola bar so that I could use it to fill me up and act as a dessert item.

The challenge hasn't been too hard today, but I am just aware that whenever I am hungry, I just grab food and eat it. I can't do that right now, unless it's another slice of bread (I don't think I want to eat 6-8 slices a day) or eating a whole spoonful of peanut butter (which my housemate did today and I may attempt on a later date).

I realize that carbs don't fill me and that the reality of eating the same thing every day isn't too appealing. As a foodie, I'm trying to make the most of this challenge and my housemate and I are having fun with it. Yet, I realize how it is for people on social assistance to eat in a healthy manner. There is barely any protein and I am just filling myself up with starches and carbs.

So it's been a good first day so far. I wonder what tomorrow will be like, with a full day of work and a bit of exercise in the schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment