Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Do the Math Challenge, Day 2...

Breakfast: 1 peanut butter sandwich
Lunch: 1 can of tomato soup, 1/3 box of macaroni and cheese
Snack: 1 piece of toast with margarine and sugar
Dinner: rice with corn, red kidney beans, and tomato soup, 1 granola bar

I am still constantly hungry, except for the rice at dinner, which actually felt filling and satisfying. That is, until someone in my house cooks something else to eat that is delicious and smells amazing. Then, I am hungry again. I am currently craving a delicious sandwich made with good, crusty bread, real cheese, and grilled vegetables. Oh, and a side of sweet potatoes fries and chiptole mayo.

Today, I learned that I need to be wise in how I give canned foods to people at food banks. I shouldn't just give them leftovers from my pantry because it gets a little boring. As my housemate and I were reflecting on our experience today, we realized that we should give away pasta and pasta sauce, because it actually is filling and is simple to add vegetables to.

I really miss my vegetables and fruit. It feels strange to only eat canned items.

Again, I am thankful to be doing this with my housemate. It makes it more bearable and more fun, as we can pool our resources together and our ideas. I am really looking forward to tomorrow's meal, as a bunch of her students are coming over and we're going to make tuna casserole, with rice, and mashed potatoes.

Even though I complain of being hungry all the time, I am really grateful for this opportunity to get a tiny experience of what it's like to live and always be in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment