Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A reminder about community...

Yesterday, I had my sabbath and went with my housemate to Buffalo for some eating and some shopping. Shopping isn't the normal sabbath activity I partake in, but since it is something that gives us a reason to go to Buffalo and get away from the normal pace of life, I went.

As we were shopping, I realized that I did not have enough money to pay for the things I needed to get (a shirt, new running shoes, and a dress for the KCF banquet). My housemate graciously said she would pay for it with her credit card, along with her purchases, and I could buy her dinner instead.

When we got to the checkout, we pooled all of our items together and when the total came up, it was way cheaper than we thought. The cashier told us that since we spent over $75, we received $15 off. When we looked at the receipt, it came to $76. On the bottom, it said we saved $100 in total because all the items we bought were on sale and we also had an extra $15 off. It was a pretty hilarious sight.

This reminded me of 2 things: 1) Pooling our things together is good. That's what gave us the $15 off in the first place. 2) God provides. I couldn't afford the items I bought because I didn't bring enough US money over, but because of the discount, I could pay for it.

God is good. He reminds me of Himself, even in my consumerism.

No comments:

Post a Comment