Sunday, January 23, 2011

No middle ground...

Ministry has been both good and hard over the past few weeks. Whenever I am asked to describe how ministry is going, I tell people that it is full of joy and a lot of hardship at the same time. This is true for my work at McMaster with Korean Christian Fellowship, but I also have seen it in Global Partnership planning.

As I reflect on last year's team, I have heard some students make decisions to do an internship with Inter-Varsity next year, which really excites me. They want to be discipled and trained to live out the Kingdom even more in their lives. Yet, I have also heard some students decide that they don't feel like they can follow Jesus anymore, and that makes me grieve. I don't want this to be true. I experienced God work in ways that I have never seen and I know these students did too.

It just makes me realize that there is no middle ground. Either you are orienting your life towards Jesus or you are orienting your life away from Him. You can't just stand still and not make a decision. It's in moments like this that I wish there was a middle ground, so that these students wouldn't be in the place of not being a believer anymore.

Yet, I am also grateful there is no middle ground. It means we have to make a decision, that we can't be stagnant or lukewarm. My prayer is that my students make a decision, either way. I will rejoice with them if they choose to follow Jesus, but I will mourn with them if they choose to turn away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment