Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sticking it out...

April is a reflective month for me, as I function on a September-April cycle. I have been thinking a lot about this year, the things I have learned about myself, God, my students, and ministry. My eyes have been opened to the norms of our society and it makes me sad.

As I was chatting with my supervisor, we both verbalized our frustration and sadness with students who are consumers of campus ministries. They go to each fellowship and get involved with the best parts, but never fully give themselves to a community. I understand the rational behind this because you can get the best of everything.

Yet, I see how this deprives our current generation of characteristics that make them better people: perseverance, dealing with conflict, learning about forgiveness, seeing good come out of hardship, just to name a few. We are inundated with consumerism in our society, so I don't blame students for having this mentality. I think we aren't aware of it and when someone calls us out of it, we become defensive because it's the way the world works.

My hope and desire is that students learn to commit, through the good and hard times, because they will see God's faithfulness when they push through the hard times. They will rejoice better when times of growth come, they will celebrate better when they or their friends overcome hardship or sin.

I'm aware that I'm fighting against the mentality of a whole generation, so this task won't be easy. I won't give up, though, because I know the joy and life that comes from being committed to something, someone, or some group. Like the Kingdom, it will start small but I believe that it will grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment